The Elizabeth F. Gamble Garden has a small, highly accomplished staff and an exceptional volunteer corps who maintain Gamble’s historic two-acre garden and buildings and deliver our suite of educational and community programs. Consider joining our team! Current opportunities appear below.
The Garden Director is an experienced horticulturist, skilled leader and manager who thrives in a collaborative environment. The Garden Director leads the development of an inspirational, long-term strategic plan for the garden, directs garden operations, and collaborates with multiple committees to develop and implement horticultural education programs for adults and children. The Garden Director oversees the garden staff and volunteers. Communication skills are essential for this position.
I. The Garden
• 2.5 acres 1431 Waverley Street at Embarcadero Road
• Herb & rose gardens, historic home, carriage house & tearoom
• House built 1902 by Edwin Gamble, son of co-founder of Proctor & Gamble
• Privately funded nonprofit organization founded 1985
• Open and free to the public 365 days per year
II. The Organization
• Mission: Maintain and enhance our historic house and garden as an oasis of beauty and tranquility, and provide a community resource for horticultural education, inspiration and enjoyment
• 350+ volunteers run and staff 23 committees and board groups, providing 40,000+ hours of work annually
• 900+ members with $700,000 budget and sizable endowment
• Exciting educational programs – 16 person Board of Directors, 6 staff
• Annual Spring Tour features 5 Palo Alto gardens
III. Qualifications and Process
• Passionate commitment to Gamble Garden and its mission
• Proven financial manager with nonprofit fundraising experience
• Demonstrated strategic and operational excellence
• Outstanding communicator adept working with volunteers
IV. The Opportunity
• Play key role leading Gamble Garden to even greater prominence
• Enhance this unique oasis located in the heart of Silicon Valley
• Be an important part of a true local treasure!
• Send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org